The White Horse. Courtesy of Contiki.
Here are 50 of the best things to do in Austin to kick-start your trip.
1. Make your first stop the Austin Visitor Center and get insider tips on the best Austin has to offer, hop on a tour and shop locally made items.
2. Try Austin’s favorite food: tacos! Some of the best are served up by Veracruz All Natural, Fresa’s Chicken al Carbon and Torchy’s Tacos.
3. Bike or hike along the 10-mile Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail at Lady Bird Lake, which winds along the shoreline and boasts panoramic views of Austin’s skyline.
4. November brings exciting events to Austin. Tap along to live Irish music during the Austin Celtic FestivalOpens in New Window, November 2-3; explore local artists’ studios during the East Austin Studio Tour , held the weekends of November 16-17 and 23-24; and get a jump on your holiday shopping at the Blue Genie Art BazaarOpens in New Window, running from November 22 through Christmas Eve.
5. View a stunning collection of modern art at The Contemporary Austin at the Jones Center and get free same-day entry to The Contemporary Austin–Laguna Gloria, a Mediterranean-style villa with an outdoor sculpture park on Lake Austin.
6. Slip into a real honky-tonk and go two-stepping at Broken Spoke, known for its chicken-fried steak and free dinner show; do some boot-scootin' at The White Horse, with live country jams; or drop in at Little Longhorn Saloon during its six-days-a-week happy hour, with $1.50 Lone Star beers.
7. Shop South Congress Avenue, known for its funky stores and chic boutiques. Check out the kicks at Allens Boots, one-of-a-kind jewelry and clothing by local artisans at Parts & Labour and wild costumes at Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds.
8. Stop in at the historic Texas Capitol Visitors Center and get a Lone Star State history lesson during a free guided tour of the handsome pink granite Texas State Capitol.
9. Sample a variety of food trucks in one location at The Picnic, where you’ll find crunchy chicken tenders at The Mighty Cone, sweet treats like the red velvet confection from Hey Cupcake! and authentic Thai cuisine at Coat & Thai.
Posted by: Visit Austin
Posted on: 18/11/2019